Ashwaganda is a highly revered medicinal herb used in Ayurveda for millennia and praised as a longevity and vitality tonic. It is often referred to as 'Indian ginseng' due to its similarity to ginseng in its action. Its herbal actions span a wide range from adaptogenic to sedative. In many Asian countries, all parts of the plant are utilized, and the tender leaves are eaten as a vegetable. As a gentle nourishing herb, it can be administered to children as well as the elderly. Many scientific studies exist regarding its manifold healing properties.
Anxiolytic, tonic, hypolipidemic, rejuvenative, nervine, sedative, 2 and adaptogenic. 4
Key constituents include: ashwagandhine, cuscohygrine, anahygrine, tropine, withaferin A, withanolides*, withasomniferin, withasomidienone, withasomniferols, withanone, withaniol, sitoindosides, acylsteryl glucosides. 1
- the steroidal withanolides resemble, in both action and appearance, ginsenosides, the active constituents of Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng).3
Specific: Not for use in pregnancy except under the supervision of a qualified healthcare practitioner.
General: We recommend that you consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using herbal products, particularly if you are pregnant, nursing, or on any medications.
- Khan, I. A., & Abourashed, E. A. (2011). Leung's encyclopedia of common natural ingredients: used in food, drugs and cosmetics. John Wiley & Sons.
- Khalsa Singh KP, Tierra M. The way of Ayurvedic herbs. Twin Lakes: Lotus Press; 2008.
- Verma, S. K., & Kumar, A. J. A. Y. (2011). Therapeutic uses of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) with a note on withanolides and its pharmacological actions. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 4(1), 01-04.
- Mills S, Bone K. Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy: Modern Herbal Medicine. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2000.
For educational purposes only This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Organic Ashwagandha root and pullulan capsule.
These vegetarian capsules are made from pullulan which is naturally fermented from tapioca.