Maca, native to the Peruvian Andes, is a food staple made into cookies, flan, smoothies, syrups, and liquor. It has a rich history of traditional use as a panacea and is referred to as 'Peruvian ginseng.' Specifically, it is prized for its adaptogenic and nutritive qualities. It was introduced to North America, Europe, and Japan in the late 1990's precipitating a stream of scientific studies.6-17
Packaging and Shipping
1 oz., 2 oz., and 4 oz. extracts come in amber glass bottles with a dropper.
8 oz. and 16 oz. sizes come in amber glass with a plastic screw cap and do not include a dropper. These sizes are produced to order. Please allow an additional three days for processing.
adaptogenic, estrogenic, nutritive, tonic
59%-75% carbohydrates, 10-14% protein, 8.5% dietary fiber, and 2.2% fats, potassium, essential trace elements iron, iodine, copper, manganese, and zinc, fatty acids including linolenic acid, palmitic acid, and oleic acids, and 19 amino acids, vitamin B1, B2, B12, vitamin C and E.7 Further, the root contains uridine, malic acid, and benzoyl derivative, glucosinolates, selenium and magnesium, and polysaccharides.7
Specific: No known precautions.
General: We recommend that you consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using herbal products, particularly if you are pregnant, nursing, or on any medications.
- United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Area Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Accessed athttp://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?8457 on June 25, 2014.
- Taylor LG (2005). The healing power of rainforest herbs: a guide to understanding and using herbal medicinals. Garden City Park, NY: Square One Publishers.
- Kilham, Christopher (2000). Tales from the Medicine Trail: Tracking Down the Health Secrets of Shamans, Herbalists, Mystics, Yogis, and Other Healers. [Emmaus PA]: Rodale Press.
- Popenoe, H. (1989). Lost crops of the incas: Little-known plants of the andes with promise for worldwide cultivation. National Academy Press.
Lindstrom, A., Ooyen, C., Lynch, M. E., & Blumenthal, M. (2013). Herb supplement sales increase 5.5% in 2012: herbal supplement sales rise for 9th consecutive year; turmeric sales jump 40% in natural channel. HerbalGram,99, 60-65.
Gonzales, G. F., Cordova, A., Gonzales, C., Chung, A., Vega, K., & Villena, A. (2001). Lepidium meyenii (Maca) improved semen parameters in adult men.Asian Journal of Andrology, 3(4), 301-304.Aim: The present study was designed to determine the effect of a 4 month oral treatment with tablets
Duke J. A. Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases. Accessed at http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/ on June 20, 2014.
- Zhao J, Muhammad I, Dunbar DC, Mustafa J, Khan IA (February 2005). "New alkamides from maca (Lepidium meyenii)". Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 53 (3): 690–3.
- Muhammad, I; Zhao J., Dunbar D.C. & Khan I.A. (2002). "Constituents of Lepidium meyenii 'maca'". Phytochemistry 59 (1): 105–110.
Gonzales GF, Miranda S, Nieto J, et al. (2005). "Red maca (Lepidium meyenii) reduced prostate size in rats". Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 3 (1): 5.
Gonzales GF, Gonzales C, Gonzales-Castañeda C. Lepidium meyenii (Maca): a plant from the highlands of Peru–from tradition to science. Forsch Komplementmed. 2009 Dec;16(6):373-80.
- Meissner HO, Mscisz A, Reich-Bilinska H, et al. Hormone-balancing effect of pre-gelatinized organic maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): (II) physiological and symptomatic responses of early-postmenopausal women to standardized doses of maca in double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multi-centre clinical study. Int J Biomed Sci. 2006;2(4): 360-374.
- Gonzales, G. F., Cordova, A., Vega, K., Chung, A., Villena, A., & Góñez, C. (2003). Effect of Lepidium meyenii (Maca), a root with aphrodisiac and fertility-enhancing properties, on serum reproductive hormone levels in adult healthy men. Journal of Endocrinology, 176(1), 163-168.
- Gonzales, G. F., Ruiz, A., Gonzales, C., Villegas, L., & Cordova, A. (2001). Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca) roots on spermatogenesis of male rats.Asian J Androl, 3(3), 231-3.
- Gonzales, G. F., Cordova, A., Vega, K., Chung, A., Villena, A., Gonez, C., & Castillo, S. (2002). Effect of Lepidium meyenii (MACA) on sexual desire and its absent relationship with serum testosterone levels in adult healthy men.andrologia, 34(6), 367-372.
- Gonzales, G. F., Miranda, S., Nieto, J., Fernández, G., Yucra, S., Rubio, J., … & Gasco, M. (2005). Red maca (Lepidium meyenii) reduced prostate size in rats. Reprod Biol Endocrinol, 3(1), 5.
- Valentova, K.; Ulrichova J. (2003). "Smallanthus sonchifolius and Lepidium meyenii - prospective Andean crops for the prevention of chronic diseases".Biomedical papers of the Medical Faculty of the University Palacký, Olomouc,Czechoslovakia 147 (2): 119–30.
- Cam,Sergio.Maca in early Peruvian Records.
For educational purposes only This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.